Saturday, March 24, 2007

Time on Legs - Wreaked


This week's running has been a mix of highs and lows. Early in the week was some good running that seemed pretty productive. I concentrated on slowing down and enjoying my recovery runs. Tuesday had me run an 8 mile speed workout. It was a tough run, but felt pretty good. Yesterdays long run was just the opposite. I was scheduled for 11 miles and at 8 miles I could not run another step. My legs were screaming and my body was experiencing some severe "tummy issues". The down side is I like to run out and back so by stopping at 8 miles meant I had a 3 mile walk back to my car. A very disappointing run! Fortunately, I have a good support network in my running buddies. My friend, Dean, called to see how the run went. He has a lot more experience than I do and he offered both advice and encouragement. That was what I needed for the day. It is so important in this individual sport to have friends who run. They understand the good and the bad of the training and keep you motivated. What a treat to have such friends.

It is hard for me to believe that 27 years ago I became a United States Marine. I recently had the pleasure of visiting San Diego and seeing my old Squadron. The picture above is me standing outside the flight line. As an unfocused and undisciplined high school senior I really had no idea what I wanted out of my future. I still count my decision to enter the Marines (spent 9 years there) as the most important life changing decision I have ever made.

Semper Fidelis.....

No comments: