Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Time on Legs - The Wind

Man, do I hate wind! Colorado, like much of the rest of the United States, has been experiencing a lot of weather changes. Spring is just like that. With our rapid changes comes a lot of wind. I really do not like running in this junk. With that said, I have been getting out there anyway. I am in my final push of hard weeks before my 15 mile race on May 6th. This week's running has been going really well despite my grumpiness about the wind. One of my problems. however, is that I have got to get my mind around training smartly or I am going to injure myself. Today's run was an 8 mile tempo run with 6 miles planned at a tempo of a 9:45 pace. My first mile as a warm up should have been pretty slow before my tempo run and I was feeling really good even at the start. When my Garmin 205 beeped at mile one, I looked down to see I had cranked out a 9:09 pace. I then settled into a good 6 miles with an average of 9:29 pace. So as a cool down for the last mile I figured I should slow it up. That did not happen and I ended the entire run with an overall pace of 9:22. I am happy with the times, but mad at myself for not managing my run better.

As I was running this week I though a lot about support. For me, it would be impossible to keep on training if I did not receive support from others. That support comes in many ways and all of it motivates me to keep on moving. My wife is the best! Steve Runner has a podcast about how our significant others play an important role in this crazyness we do. She tolerates and encourages my many hours out on the trails. She does this because she knows how much I enjoy it. I love her for that. I also receive motivation from the many podcasts I listen to each week. Listening to the "rambling diatribes" and the running of 1000 miles through 2007 as well as Nigel's English Country runs really help me connect with a community of runners. Also, those folks who leave me notes of encouragement on this blog really give me a sense of a greater community in running. I really appreciate that. Finally, I have two good friends who join me regularly on runs and constantly offer support and encouragement. They are the best.

I seem to be rambling on....

6 comments:

CewTwo said...

Great thoughts on support!

Even windy, it would be hard to replace Colorado for outdoor running.

When I got my trail shoes, it opened up whole new worlds that my original shoes just weren't tough enough for.

Thanks for the blog. I've added it to my RSS reader...

Irish Blue said...

The running community is a very supportive bunch. The encouragement I've gotten from other runners has really kept me going. It's awesome!

Enjoy your trail running and your training! Think summer thought. ;-)

Kevin said...

Cory,
I know what you mean! You have never met, nor will you probably ever meet those of us who read your blog, but they are all your friends. Is sounds like it can't be possible, but it is. I would say almost 100% of my friends have come to me through my running. Most importantly my wife!
Hang in there Cory, and keep us up to date on the training.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous pic!

How's your wife doing with C25k?

Papa Louie said...

No, you hit it right on the head. It is good to appreciate all the support we get from others in our running endeavors. And we need to let others know, more and more, how much we are thankful for their support.

MarathonChris said...

That would be rambing diatribes :-) The running community is absolutely the best! I totally agree. The support makes all the difference!